Ride Tracker

Friday, January 4, 2013

The Hardest Mile of My Life

I started my journey to 3650 last night. I suited up and for the first time since before thanksgiving, I rode the bike, determined to make up some ground on the 20 mile hole that I’m in for starting on January 3rd.

I got on at 9:30 last night hoping to push out  10- 12 miles. I set up the TV, brought the PS3 controller over to play a game while I rode, and mounted up. Then I tried to pedal. It was hard. The numbness and tingling that runs the length of my legs and into my feet was not something I accounted for.  A Bike seat coming into contact with a particularly sensitive area is NOT Comfortable when you don’t have nerve issues. but I kept turning my wheel and settled in to play a game. In order to do this, I’d need to sit up.

Sitting upright was a huge mistake. I knew I was having a hard time feeling the seat under me, but I nearly leaned back and fell off the back of the bike.  Quite the sight it would have been, me, clipped into the pedals hanging off the back of a bike.  Luckily the ceiling is low, and I caught myself.  Sitting up was the most painful thing I've done since hurting my back.  Video games were not in the future of this ride. but I had the TV still.

Instead I leaned forward and began the process of cycling through gears to find out where my effort vs. output sweet spot was. Unfortunately, with very limited calf strength, I was unable to maintain my normal stroke. I was spinning at around 70RPM and 10MPH and putting out far too much effort to maintain.  I gave up. my very first ride lasted all of 1 mile in 5 minutes. Then came the dismount.  Never take your calves for granted! I got one foot unclipped, and tried to swing off the bike.  My clipped foot couldn’t support me, and I nearly took another tumble. I made it off though.

I’ll admit, I was discouraged by this. I was angry at myself that I gave up… that my body will not cooperate with me. However, while I gave up on that ride, that didn’t mean my night was done.  around 11pm, determined to figure out how to ride the bike, I climbed back in, bunkered down, and turned out a much more acceptable 1.1 miles in just over 4 minutes.

In total, I made it 2.1 miles towards my goal of 3650. I also learned a little about what this is going to take, and a lot of humility.  I may need to ride the “recumbent” bike at the gym for the bulk of my miles at these early stages, but I’ll make progress. I have to, if only because 2 miles/day wont cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment