Ride Tracker

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Welcome to 2013

Welcome to Project 3650. I’ll be writing here about my quest to log 3,650 miles on my bike this year.  I’ve decided to start this blog to keep myself accountable, and also to share my experience. First, by way of background, a little about me.  I’ll be 32 this year. For the past 4 years, I’ve struggled to maintain a schedule of training, career, and family obligations.  I’m a husband, and a  father of two. My wife and I are generally active, and in the past few years have raced everything from 5K to Half Ironman distance road races and triathlons. In 2013, My wife, Sue, will be taking on her first Marathon. My season is in question though.

On November 18th 2012, I sneezed. Hard. I sneezed so hard that a jolt of pain went down my back and into my legs.  I was unable to move for 15 minutes.  Even with assistance, I couldn’t stand up till nearly an hour later.  There was something wrong.  I’ve dealt with back pain for several years through core exercises (not enough) and chiropractic visits.  This was not typical pain for me.  The following day, I saw the chiropractor, and two days later, had an MRI.  Diagnosis: Bulges at L3/L4 & L4/L5, and a ruptured L5/S1.  The days and weeks following “The Sneeze” were not easy. Meanwhile, with an appetite that hasn’t come down much from the time of daily workouts and an active lifestyle, and the plethora of holiday eating, I’ve been gaining weight quickly. My health has declined fast, and I’ve lost energy and focus. I’ve been unable to work out, and uncertain of what to do about my back issues while I awaited a meeting with a spine surgeon.  

on January 2nd, I finally met with the surgeon. I did not get the final answer I was looking for, and will have to go for a follow up in 30 days. In the mean time, for the first time in 6 weeks, I was given the ok to resume working out. There’s not much I’m able to do.  I’m unsteady on my feet due to numbness in both legs and feet.  I also lack muscle control and strength in both calves. Running is not an option, but the doc gave me the ok to Bike, Swim, or Elliptical. Excited that I could finally do something (anything!) I came up with the idea for a bike challenge. I’m challenging myself to ride an average of 10 miles a day, for the entire year, and complete Three Thousand Six Hundred and Fifty Miles.

I don’t know if I’ll make it all the way through this challenge.  I have no idea if 3650 is a realistic goal, too easy, too hard? It could be that I meet with the surgeon again next month and go under the knife. Either way, I’m determined to regain my health, drop the added weight (and then some!) and enter 2014 ready to resume triathlons, and take on my 2nd Half Ironman. I hope you’ll follow along with me, and feel free to share your story in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment